All CMCP™ candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Four-year degree and 1 year of property management experience
- Two-year degree and 2 years of property management experience
- No degree and 4 years of property management experience
- 30 hours of verifiable continuing education, training or professional development in commercial property management. (See Exam Information and Resources for details on what type of training qualifies.)
|Requirements||Degree||Minimum Years of Experience||Hours of Training/Professional Development|
|Option 1||4-Year College||1 year||30 hours|
|Option 2||2-Year College||2 years||30 hours|
|Option 3||No degree||4 years||30 hours|
Steps to Becoming Certified
- Check that you meet all eligibility requirements
- Gather information to verify 30 hours property management continuing education, training and professional development (course titles, sponsors, dates, hours; certificates of completion or other proof of course completion must be provided). For education and exam prep resources, see section on Exam Information and Study Resources.
- Gather information on formal education (provide a copy of your college diploma and/or transcript).
- Gather information on employment history (employers, dates, supervisors’ names and signatures).
- Complete and submit the online application along with payment (Click here to download the application).
- Once your application is approved, make an appointment at a Pearson VUE testing center to take your exam. You must register for the exam at least 10 business days prior to your desired exam date.
- You must take the exam within 180 days of the date your application is approved. Extensions may be requested for extenuating circumstances, such as military call to duty, illness, maternity leave or an emergency situation.
- After you complete your exam, you will be notified immediately of pass/fail status and will receive a score report within one week.
If you do not pass the CMCP examination, you may apply to retake the exam after 30 days, and you may retake the exam up to 3 times in a 12-month period. Thereafter, a waiting period of 1 year from the last exam date is required. Contact CRECI for more information at email@example.com.
Promote Your CMCP™ Certification
Once you pass the exam and achieve the CMCP™ certification, you will have access to sample announcements, letters and other tools to promote your achievement, along with guidance on using or displaying the CMCP™ credential and logo after your name, on business cards and more.
Maintaining Your CMCP™ Certification
To maintain your CMCP™ certification, you must complete at least 45 hours of verifiable continuing professional development (including 3 hours of CRE ethics) every 3 years and pay recertification fees in effect at the time. You also must demonstrate CRE employment within 90 days of applying for recertification. More information will be provided once you achieve your certification. Learn more about the recertification process by reading the CMCP Recertification Handbook.